ZLOFENIX Games

BF3 settings/configuration tweaking

This will be a short collection of tweaks/guides on how to configurate BF3 to get decent FPS and minimal InputLag.
A lot of people in here never played Battlefield 3 before so i thought of a short configuration/settings help-thread.
Here is it, if you want to add something to this "guide" then pm me or post it beneath.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////
First thing: Built-In FPS meter and Performance overlay:

01eakv8.jpg

While ingame press the [^] Key (the key above tabulator) to open the Console
To get the FPS-overlay enter:

Render.DrawFps 1

now to get the CPU/GPU performance-visualisation enter:

Render.PerfOverlayVisible 1

this will show you how well/bad your CPU does in comparison to your GPU; what component actually handicaps the game from getting higher framerates.
Basically the graph shows render rate in ms (milliseconds) => Lower is better.
So if your GPU is BELOW your CPU then your CPU is the bottleneck
GREEN (GPU) BELOW YELLOW (CPU) = CPU is slower

02p2kjb.jpg

High spikes in the graph indicate an unstable system/performance.
This game is a serious CPU-hog, i am runnig a 4770K @ 4.2GHz and the CPU limits my stock GTX580....

What are good settings to maximize fps while keeping good graphics?
Well first; I recommend you to download the Realmware BF3 Settings Editor: http://battlefield.realmware.co.uk/settings-editor/downloads
It allows you to easily customise and tweak all of your Battlefield 3 settings, including the ones that aren't displayed on the in-game menu.
Extract and start, then switch to the Graphics tab:

0366jea.jpg

Now start off with setting everything to Ultra or High except Shadows, set Shadows Medium, disable Motion Blur + VSYNC, AA to 2x and set AO to SSAO.
These settings are a good start to further tweak your graphicsettings. Hit >Save Settings< and fire up BF3 preferably join on a Close Quarters Map like Scrapmetal.
Now look at your FPS:
o) If they are way too low (<25): close the game, start the Settings Editor. Go to Console Commands, change Shadowmap resolution to 512, set all grapicsettings to medium/low, save and apply then test again. Probably decrease resolution.
o) If fps are about 35 then you can try to set post processing (AA) and terrain decoration to high/ultra and everything else on medium, probably also decrease shadowmap resolution to 512. This will almost look like everything is on high, although you'll have a much higher framerate.
o) ~45: decrease Mesh quality and Terrain Quality
o) Most of the time above 45? You'r done, you can even set Ambient occulsion to HBAO / Shadows to high/ultra

If you are getting low framerates even on medium/low settings, then disable Ambient occulsion and Anti-Aliasing (deferred). This will pretty much do eyecancer to most of you guys so turn Anti-Aliasing (post) to medium/high. Anti-Aliasing (post) is FXAA, so it has almost no impact on your GPU. Also lower your Field of view (FOV) to ~70 to get additional fps.
You can always decrease your resolution though....

What does actually eat up your GPU/CPU-power?
1) Anti-Aliasing (deferred)
2) Shadow quality
3) Ambient occulsion (AO) and shadowmap resolution
4) Mesh/Terrain quality

Texture quality only affects VRAM usage (not GPU load), Effects quality and Terrain decoration do have little impact on GPU and AA (post) as well as Anisotropic filtering are pretty much negligible.
If you have any stutters or microlags then disable VSYNC as it is known to cause these problems.
To reduce loading/responsetimes install BF3 on a SSD. This will SERIOUSLY shorten the loadingtimes ingame.
Here is a full tweak-guide + explanation of all graphic settings: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/battlefield-3-tweak-guide#1

Reduce the input lag of the game:
BF3 does have a really high input delay (compared to other modern Shooter like CS:GO) which means your mousemovement/keystrokes will be delayed for a longer period of time then it should be.
This is a problem of the coding/programming and DICE knows about that. Still, they didn't come up with a better engine-optimisation in BF4... they made it even worse.
So to reduce your inputlag to a minimum edit your BF3 user.cfg file. Should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3.
Open it with Editor and add/change these lines:

RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0

Open Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings-> Program Settings
Add a new rule for bf3.exe/Zbf3.exe,
Set Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 1.
Set Threaded Optimization On.

05y3jbm.jpg

Go to windows control panel-> Mouse properties-> Pointer Options: disable "Enhance pointer precision" (windows mouse acceleration) and note your Pointer Speed (example: 3).
control panel-> Display: note your scale-settings (100%/125%/150%/200%)
Download/extract MarkC MouseFix: http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.at/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html
Execute the matching reg-file for your OS and scale-settings. (Example: Windows_7_MouseFix_TextSize(DPI)=100%_Scale=1-to-1_@6-of-11.reg)
Restart your PC, then control panel-> Mouse properties-> Pointer Options: set the Pointer Speed to your old value (example: back to 3).
Now activate RAW mouse input ingame (GstInput.MouseRawInput 1). Should permanently disable windows mouse accelaration and reduce Input delay to a minimum.

Turn VSYNC off ingame. Finish.
If you want to reduce the delay even further:

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 58.000000
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0

047kjn5.jpg

You will probably want to finetune the BF3-mousesensitivity: Go to C:\Users\username\Documents\Battlefield 3\settings\ open PROF_SAVE_profile with editor and search for "GstInput.MouseSensitivity". I am playing with Windows-Pointer Speed: 3, GstInput.MouseSensitivity: 0.040000 and 3400dpi

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why isnt the SLI working ? i can only play with one video card.

SLI FIXES 

It seems that there is soemething in windows stopping some of the Nvidia drivers from properly uninstalling . It seems that dome files from previuos drivers are actually left behind causing conflicts . Follow the below steps to fix this .

1 . Download driver sweeper from GURU3d website .    Go to the download page . Once downloaded install it .

2 . Download the latest Nvidia drivers .

3 . Uninsstall your graphics drivers .

4 . Run driver sweeper .

5 install your new drivers .

FIX 2

Another update on the SLI issue . Some have reported that using the latest beta drivers works for them . It may not work for everyone but would be worth a try for those having sli problems .

FIX 3

I have read a lot of new finds on the sli side of things . It seems that the sli setup itself is not the problem . Its actually to do with the voltages on both cards . It seems that there is bios update differences on some cards . Check the voltages on both cards using MSI afterburner and set them accordingly . It seems that dx 11 takes offence to this and causes the game to become unstable and eventually freeze up . 

CHECK OUT THIS POST HERE : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=214694

SLI FIXES 

It seems that there is soemething in windows stopping some of the Nvidia drivers from properly uninstalling . It seems that dome files from previuos drivers are actually left behind causing conflicts . Follow the below steps to fix this .

1 . Download driver sweeper from GURU3d website .    Go to the download page . Once downloaded install it .

2 . Download the latest Nvidia drivers .

3 . Uninsstall your graphics drivers .

4 . Run driver sweeper .

5 install your new drivers .

FIX 2

Another update on the SLI issue . Some have reported that using the latest beta drivers works for them . It may not work for everyone but would be worth a try for those having sli problems .

FIX 3

I have read a lot of new finds on the sli side of things . It seems that the sli setup itself is not the problem . Its actually to do with the voltages on both cards . It seems that there is bios update differences on some cards . Check the voltages on both cards using MSI afterburner and set them accordingly . It seems that dx 11 takes offence to this and causes the game to become unstable and eventually freeze up . 

CHECK OUT THIS POST HERE : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=214694

The problem is Sli works in all other games, it worked even in BF3 before i installed this.

• 3 weeks later...

WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable

This is an easy one, when set to 0 this setting disables Frostbite's 2 compute shader lightning path, which will result in significantly improved framerate in wide outdoor spaces (some claiming around ~10-15 FPS gains), but it comes with a downside, this will most definitely reduce performance in heavily lit scenes, so it's more of a pick your poison kinda deal. Just as with the "ForceRenderAheadLimit" CVAR, play around with this. 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

Sorry, but i am new to this emulator and am no expert at these things. but i did what despo said and also sasblackburn. found that what they both said are all present already in the realmware software so manually disabled all. runs perfectly now.thanks

Please explain how it works!

Sorry, but i am new to this emulator and am no expert at these things. but i did what despo said and also sasblackburn. found that what they both said are all present already in the realmware software so manually disabled all. runs perfectly now.thanks

Please explain how it works!

The program disables shadows, blue-filter, decals and suppression!

Hey Oak, nice of you to have shared what you knew man... But I would like to point out a fact or two here...

First of all the following are the automatic tweaks which are applied by the tweak provided in the link...

;
; Sample VeniceFX Configuration File
; Place this in Battlefield 3's root directory
; and when VeniceFX is loaded it should find the configuration file
;
[VeniceFX]
AutoLoadKeys=0
AutoLoadTweaks=1
AutoLoadCamera=0

;
; Freecamera Keyboard Configuration
; 0 - Use Default Bound Keys
; # - dinput8 DIK_XXXXX key number in decimal where DIK_XXXX is a key found in
; dinput8.h (or MSDN)
;
[KeyConfig]
Forward=0
Backward=0
Left=0
Right=0
Secondary=0
Secondary2=0
Raise=0
Lower=0
Escape=0

;
; Saving the visual settings of VeniceFX
; The group VeniceTweaks is not complete for release v3.3
; Everything is configurable through the ingame menu
;
[VeniceTweaks]
ColorCorrectionDisabled=1
DecalsDisabled=1
FirstPersonModelDisabled=0
FoliageDisabled=0
ShadowsDisabled=1
SunDisabled=1

SkyDisabled=0
SunLightDisabled=0
DebugViewEnabled=0
VegetatioDraw=0
VegetationDisabled=0

[VeniceCamera]
MovementSpeed=0.3
SecondaryMovementSpeed=0.05
RotationSpeed=0.0005
SecondaryRotationSpeed=0.0005

As far as I know, the only additional tweak or setting it does which realware editor does not do is disable shadows,decals and disable the sun,,,
I play on all high except shadows at a shadow resolution of 1024 which works out the best for me...

Just use the performance overlay console command and find out a setting in which there is the least difference between cpu and gpu loads so that the bottlneck issue is minimized...
I also disabled the Directx11 and Directx deferred CS Path...

I play currently at 45-60 fps but have locked it at 45 fps ...

My specs are not out of the world, have a dual core amd cpu with an unlocked core and an HD 6670...
Play at 60 fps...I guarantee that...

COMING BACK TO THE TOPIC, THE TWEAK THAT OAK SUGGESTED ACTUALLY WORKS, IT GAVE AND FPS BOOST OF NEARLY 15 FPS STRAIGHT AWAY...

LOW END PC GUYS, YOU CAN PLAY BF3 WITHOUT LAG NOW...

BE SURE TO DOUBLE CLICK THE VENICELOADER.EXE AFTER THE MAP IS LOADED, MOST COMMONLY PEOPLE COMPALAIN ABOUT NON WORKING DUE TO SIMPLE COPYING AND PASTING AND NOT RUNNING THE FILE...
 BUT I WOULD SUGGEST ColorCorrectionDisabled=0 RATHER THAN '1'...
Best of luck to you guys too...

Happy Gaming!!!

Edited by SASBLACKBURN

Just a side note that you will only have an Nvidia control panel if you have an Nvidia (GT or GTX for example) based card + installed drivers.

any ATI cards (HD7xxx or R7/9 for example) will have catalyst control center. Where I have yet to find these specific settings.

Edited by Whispered-WYD-

Just a side not that you will only have an Nvidia control panel if you have an Nvidia (GT or GTX for example) based card + installed drivers.

any ATI cards (HD7xxx or R7/9 for example) will have catalyst control center. Where I have yet to find these specific settings.

ATI catalyst driver does not have settings like threaded optimization and maximum pre-rendered frames...

But many of the discussed options can be found at video>3d application settings...

Happy Gaming

Edited by SASBLACKBURN

ATI catalyst driver does not have settings like threaded optimization and maximum pre-rendered frames...

But many of the discussed options can be found at video>3d application settings...

Happy Gaming

Those are the exact settings I was referring to ;)

If you can't find these any of the other settings (so excluding the threaded & render frames) settings on CCC make sure your preferences are set to advanced view in the CCC

Edited by Whispered-WYD-

Those are the exact settings I was referring to ;)

If you can't find these any of the other settings (so excluding the threaded & render frames) settings on CCC make sure your preferences are set to advanced view in the CCC

But settings like maximum pre-rendered frames can be controlled via in-built console commands...

Or use the Realmware utility which has all the advanced settings tweaking capability including activating and de-activating console commands!!!

Happy Gaming

• 9 months later...

hey guys i got a problem with this and maybe you can help. I can't use bft settings editor. Whenever i click on the .exe or the desktop icon nothing happens. The program does shows up at the process tab on task manager but after a couple of seconds it just dissapear, i don't get any error log or anything that could help me know what's happening. 

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, PakHawk said:

Does anyone know how to save your score in-game? Like when you want to leave the server mid-game, does it save your score and achievements etc.?

Thanks

Yes it saves even if you close game midround.